top of page

Lichfield City bow out of the Walsall Senior Cup on penalties

Lichfield City bow out of the Walsall Senior Cup on penalties despite incredible heart-filled performance

A performance of heart, passion and unwavering will power saw Lichfield City take National League North Side Rushall Olympic all the way to penalties in their Walsall Senior Cup semi-final clash.

From three goals down, Ivor Green’s men pulled the game back to 3-3 with just seconds to spare, as Dom Lewis, Jude Taylor and Jordan Clement all struck home late in the second half.

A tense shootout – which went to the eighth round of spot-kicks – saw Lichfield bow out of the competition, as Jacob Weaver scored the winning penalty for the Pics.

The result was not met with a feeling of disappoint, but pride. As the coaching staff and supporters could not have been prouder of their team’s effort on the night.

The enthralling fixture saw Ronnie Holt and Tom Brown make their second consecutive starts for Lichfield, while Kieran Francis made his return to First team action with a place on the bench - following a brief absence due to injury.

Jack Edwards struck a curling free kick on target which forced a strong save from Weaver early on.

Jamie Elkes then flew in with a fantastic interception to disrupt a break from the Pics, which allowed teammates Dan Smith and Jordan Clement to hit back and aim efforts goalward.

Rushall ramped up the pressure as the first half wore on, and McLintock fired the opener past Beeson to make it 0-1 going into the interval.

A fantastic challenge from Holt denied the visitors after the break but McLintock doubled Rushall’s lead with a superb strike that bounced in off the crossbar.

Walsall FC loanee Ronan Maher then made it three with a volley inside the area and finished off a well-worked break down the right hand-side after Rushall regained possession.

Yet, Lichfield managed to pull three goals back, seemingly from nowhere, as Lewis headed in Edwards’ cross from the right to pull the scoreline back to 1-3.

Taylor then slotted an effort past the keeper from just outside the six-yard box with three minutes to go of added time, before Clement emphatically brought Lichfield level, as the ball fell for him inside the area to stab home and take his side through to the penalty shootout.

Edwards stepped up to take the first penalty and struck the back of the net before McLintock levelled. Both sides scored their second round of penalties, but Lichfield pulled ahead early as Lewi Burnside made it 3-2.

The keeper saved Francis’ effort, however, and the shoot-out went to sudden death as both sides scored their fifth penalties.

James Beeson made an incredible save to keep his side in the contest as Lewis missed his penalty; but Jacob Weaver then saved Holt’s spot-kick, before scoring himself to book a place in the cup final.

Despite the result, all in attendance were in awe of the outstanding display that Lichfield had produced to find their way back into the game against step two opposition.

Lichfield City will be back in action at the Trade Tyre Community Stadium on Saturday against Highgate United, for their playoff semi-final clash.

City: Beeson ©, Burnside, Holt, Elkes, McMenemy (Francis), Lewis, Edwards, Brown, Smith (Taylor), Kirton (Dunn), Clement.


Attendance: 219

92 views0 comments


bottom of page