top of page

A Late Lichfield Comeback Sees Off a Strong Uttoxeter Town

Incredible late comeback for Lichfield City as they beat Uttoxeter Town

Relentless passion, unwavering desire and an outrageous piece of luck were enough for Lichfield City to come out as winners in a toe-to-toe dog fight against Uttoxeter Town.

An 80th minute penalty from Dan Lomas and an 85th minute winner from Lewi Burnside stole a late win for Lichfield from a strong Uttoxeter side.

Jubilation ensued the Trade Tyre Community Stadium as a big crowd of fans celebrated another home victory.

Ivor Green made 6 changes to his lineup following Tuesday nights League Cup win away at Coton Green. Lomas returned to the side while the league’s top goal scorer, Dan Smith, kept his place in the starting 11.

15 games unbeaten, Lichfield have earned themselves the status of being the division’s team to beat, while the traveling Uttoxeter side have also been in good form, having climbed to the brink of the playoff places after beating A.F.C. Wulfrunians last weekend.

The first half was a frustrating affair for the home side, as Uttoxeter looked threatening in the opening stages of the game.

Burnside and Luke Childs had more than had their work cut out to tie down Lichfield’s left and right flank, as Uttoxeter looked to exploit the wide areas.

A powerful drive from Dom Lewis earned Lichfield and Joe Haines a free kick 30 yards out from goal.

Haines’ effort forced a save from the Uttoxeter keeper, Charlie Wood, before a ball into the box from Burnside narrowly missed Dan Smith in the middle.

Lichfield dominated the ball throughout the opening 25 minutes but struggled to find an end product, before a clash of heads gave them a chance to reset their efforts.

A shot from Liam Kirton earned Lichfield a corner, but again the home side couldn’t capitalise, before Uttoxeter had a dangerous break of their own down the left wing.

An injury to Wood in goal caused another stoppage, but, after playresumed, Lichfield still couldn’t find the Uttoxeter net before half time.

Lichfield burst out of the blocks to start the second half, Haines coming close again before a ball in from Kirton was smothered by Wood in goal.

Uttoxeter tried to hit back at Lichfield and were rewarded with a penalty in the 59th minute. Matt Redshaw capitalised from the spot to put Uttoxeter into the lead.

Green made two substitutions in an effort to rectify the deficit, as Jack Edwards came on to make an immediate impact on the wing.

An outrageous piece of luck gifted Lichfield a way back into the game. Smith charged down a clearance which deflected off him, onto the corner flag and rebounded back into play. Smith was able to salvage the ball and was then taken down in the box to win Lichfield a penalty.

Wood was yellow carded for his protestation before Lomas stepped up and cooly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

City came close again as momentum return to the home side, but Dom Lewis’ effort was saved on the goal line before being cleared.

A scramble in the box led to Lichfield taking the lead, as a shot from outside the box deflected into the path of Burnside for him to poke past the keeper. The Lichfield Ultras were roaring down by the corner flag.

City fought on until the final whistle and claimed three more points as Lichfield set their sights on to top spot in the Midlands Football League Premier Division.


97 views0 comments


bottom of page